So, your garage door won’t open. Or maybe it won’t close. Either way, you’re stuck. What do you do? Call a garage door repair professional, that’s what you do. Fortunately, we have developed a handy way for you to determine whether the company you are about to partner with is a company you can trust. Let’s take a deep dive into figuring out who should work on your garage door.
Tips to Finding the Perfect Garage Door Repair Professional
While the garage door and exterior of your home is probably the thing you think of the least, when something does go wrong, you’ve got an immediate problem. When it works, you’re good, but when it doesn’t the matter is an emergency. When something does go wrong and you are faced with typing in that dreaded search term, “garage door repairman near me,” you need to know the person on the other end of the line is someone you can trust. You don’t have to be looking for your garage door repair expert in Akron alone. These tips apply to anyone, anywhere.
- Transparency: How transparent is the company you are looking at with their pricing and services? Because obviously no one wants to be hit with hidden fees or unexpected payment requests. It is critical you know what the exact bill is before the work is started. Look for clear, concise pricing and get assurance you will be made aware of any changes to the initial quote before the work is done.
- Reputation: We are very proud of our review footprint. Is the company you want to hire proud of theirs? How many 5-star reviews do they have? What do others who have done business with them have to say about their experience? And beyond how many 5-star reviews they have, have any of your family, friends or neighbors ever patronized their business? Word of mouth marketing is very powerful, perhaps you can employ it when you find the repair person who suits your needs.
- Customer Service: You can learn a lot by how willing your garage door repair company is to easily explain complex things. Furthermore, are they available to pick up the phone and answer any questions you have? If you have questions, what kind of attitude do you get? Because it is important to remember: you are the customer.
Keep an Eye on These Factors
Even though you may have vetted a potential expert garage door repair person, you still aren’t done with the vetting process. Is the company or individual licensed and/or a member of a recognized association? Being licensed and part of an association requires a certain level of education and professional standards. So make sure you look for that. Also, are they listed on the Better Business Bureau? It also does not hurt to get several opinions and estimates. When someone gets a scary medical diagnosis, they often seek a second opinion. There is nothing wrong with doing that when you are looking for a garage door repair professional.
Of course, never pay upfront. If someone asks you to pay ahead of time, look elsewhere. You should also get everything in writing. Other considerations include:
- Professional behavior and dress.
- Undue pressure to make a quick decision.
- A deal that is too good to be true.
- Timeliness and level of expertise.
- Do they drive an unmarked vehicle?
These are all appropriate questions to consider. After all, this is the person who will be working on a critical component of your home’s aesthetic and level of safety. Pay close attention to whether the individual tries to up sell you on something you don’t think you need. In fact, you are well within your rights to ask them to bring a price book with them. And if they have any sales literature, they should bring that too. Anything that casts more transparency on their processes should be welcomed.
What if You Don’t Need a Repair Professional?
That’s absolutely fine! In fact, we will offer you time-tested tips to checking the state of your garage door before you call anyone. Automatic garage doors utilize a lot of components to function. There are plenty of things that go wrong with garage doors. A simple visual inspection never hurts. Does the garage door open and close smoothly with no problems? Are there any strange noises or vibrations you’ve never heard before?
While dents and bumps are common in garage doors, in many cases the problem is a simple misalignment or loose component. If the tracks are misaligned, you can use a level to make sure the alignment is right. In those cases, nothing else need be done. But problems with springs, hinges, or other complex garage door parts and components must be addressed by a qualified garage door repair professional. Always ensure you complete your due diligence before deciding who to partner with. When you are trusting someone to work on a vital component of your home, you can never be too careful.
Do you live in Akron, Canton, or the surrounding areas? Prestige Door has been serving Northeastern Ohio’s garage door repair needs since 2012 and is proud to be your partner in all things garage door repair, maintenance or installation. Contact us today and let’s get started!